What is HTML? (Hypertext Markup Language)
- It is a logical set of codes that constitues the appearance of a web document and the information contained. The codes are written in "<" (open bracket) and ">" (closed bracket), although they are not really brackets, that is what they are called and look like: < >.
<BODY> or <DIV>
- Most elements (also named tags) have an element (tag) for opening and a closing element distinguished by "/" inside the open bracket "<".
<DIV> ... </DIV>
- The first word that appears inside the "<" is called element or HTML label and tells the browser what item to create; something like <DIV> (a block element).
- The words follow after that element inside "< >"are named attributes they describe the element's properties. Such as color, size, etc.
- Attributes are separated by spaces and followed by an equal sign "=", after which the attribute's values are written into quotes (" ").
- Thus, a HTML label may contain the identifier, attributes and values.
- In the following example DIV is the element, style is the attribute and "color;blue;" is the value:
<DIV style="color:blue;">This text will be blue</DIV>
HTML Document Structure
- A HTML document (file) consists of several elements and their attributes.
The overall structure of a HTML document
<HEAD> This one also has multiple sub-elements:
<TITLE> Here write the title of the document, as suggestive as possible, and end it with </TITLE>
<BASE> Can be used to record the location of the document in URL form. (Required if the document is not accessed in its original location). Ends with </BASE>
<LINK> Indicates a relationship between the document and other objects on the WEB. Ends with </LINK>
<META> Here you write information such as the keypad (language) used, description and keywords that can be found by search engines. Ends with </META>
<STYLE> Contains information about style, graphic on the content that will appear on the webpage. Ends with </STYLE>
This is where the elements added in HEAD end
HTML labels and content of the document that are to be displayed on the website are included in this element. You can also add here elements such as: